Need a Passport? can expedite your passport renewal or expedite a new, second, lost, damaged, stolen, or child passport in as quick as 1 day.

View Requirements >
Recent Posts
Order a U.S. Passport

Can You Still Use A Visa After Your Passport Has Expired?

by David | October 31st, 2009

Many countries issue visas that are good for a number of years.  That means that it’s entirely possible to end up with a visa that expires after your passport. What happens if your passport is expired but your visa is still valid?

The answer depends on the type of visa in question and the country that issued it.  However, in most cases, you can use a valid visa even if your passport is expired.  You do need to renew your passport, though.

When you renew your passport, you can usually do one of two things. The first option is to carry the old passport with your visa in it along with your new passport. However, when you travel, you’ll have to be very careful to keep track of both passports. If you lose your new passport, you’ll be stuck trying to get a new one in a foreign country. If you lose your old passport, you will have to get a new visa.

However, some countries offer an additional option, allowing you to apply to have your visa transferred to the new passport. The advantage of going this route is that you only have to keep track of one passport on your trip. The disadvantage is that you’ll have to send in both the old passport and the new passport to get the visa transferred, and you need to make sure to send them in well before your trip.

Each country is different-before you try to travel, make sure to double-check what the requirements are in your specific situation.  RushMyTravelVisa can help-we’ll research the requirements of the country that issued your visa, and we can help you get it transferred.  Or, if you need to apply for a new visa, we can help you with that.

Apply for your visa with us today!

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RushMyTravelVisa is a private service not affiliated with the government. We charge an additional fee to expedite your travel visa application. You may obtain a visa directly from the embassy at a lower cost.