The tourism industry in Brazil began growing in leaps and bounds after the year 2000, and today it is an important part of the Brazilian economy. According to Wikipedia, Brazil is now the fourth-largest tourist destination in the Americas. Although Brazil has a thriving domestic tourism industry, it is also a popular destination for international tourism. In fact, in 2008, 5.78 billion foreign tourists visited Brazil.
Brazil’s most popular tourist destinations for international visitors are mainly natural attractions like the country’s lush rainforests and sugar-sand beaches. (See our article on Brazil’s beaches for a rundown on the most popular places to swim and sunbathe.)
Although Brazil welcomes tourists, American citizens still need visas to enter the country. Here are the documents required to get a Brazilian tourist visa:
- Your US passport. Your passport must be valid, with at least 6 months of validity left before it expires. Also, you will need at least 2 blank pages in the back for the Brazilian visa.
- One completed Brazilian visa application
- 2 passport-sized photos
- A copy of your itinerary showing the dates you plan to enter and leave Brazil.
- A photocopy of your driver’s license or state-issued ID card. The copy must be legible.
- If you will be visiting friends or relatives, you also need a letter from your hosts.
To enter Brazil, you may also need a yellow fever vaccination. Vaccines are required of travelers who have been to any of the following countries in the past 3 months (90 days): Angola, Bolivia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Colombia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, French Guiana, Gabon, Ghana, Gambia, Republic of Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Peru, Sierra Leone, Sudan or Venezuela.
Also, keep in mind that Brazil has a “jurisdictional” visa system. That means that you have to apply at the correct Brazilian embassy or consulate that serves your area.
The Brazilian visa system is somewhat notorious for its complexity. A private visa expediting company like RushMyTravelVisa.com can make navigating it much simpler. We’ll provide you with clear, easy to follow instructions to help you gather the information you need to apply and fill out the paperwork. Then, we’ll deliver your Brazilian visa application to the appropriate embassy or consulate, for the fastest possible service.
Apply for your Brazilian visa today!