Need a Passport? can expedite your passport renewal or expedite a new, second, lost, damaged, stolen, or child passport in as quick as 1 day.

View Requirements >
Recent Posts
Order a U.S. Passport

The ABC’s of Chinese Visas

by David | September 10th, 2009

If you’re planning a trip to China, it’s absolutely essential that you have the right type of visa. China is very strict about their visa policy. They do not issue visas on arrival, and according to the US State Department, if you try to enter China without the right type of visa, you’ll be “subject to a fine and immediate deportation” at your own expense.

Sounds unpleasant, doesn’t it? So, what type of Chinese visas are available, and how do you know which one to apply for?

In China, each type of travel visa is identified by a letter. The type of Chinese  visa you need depends on the purpose of your trip.  Here’s a breakdown:

Chinese work visas:

If you are coming to China to work, you will need one of the following visas:

C Visa: Issued to crewmembers to perform duties on board an international train, airliner or other vessel, and their accompanying family members.

F Visa: Issued to an alien who is invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or internship for a period of no more than six months.

J-1 Visa: Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

J-2 Visa: Issued to foreign journalists who make short trips to China on reporting tasks.

Z Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to China for a post or employment, and his or her accompanying family members.

Chinese Student Visa

If you’re coming to China to study, you’ll need an X Visa, which is issued to an alien who comes to China for study, advanced studies or internship for a period of more than six months.

Chinese Permanent Resident Visa

If you plan to reside permanently in China, you’ll need a D visa.

Chinese Travel Visas

A G visa is necessary if your flight itinerary requires you to stop in China.  However, you don’t need a visa if you already have tickets to your final destination on an international airline that flies through China, you will be in China for less than 24 hours  and you never leave the airport.

If you’re coming to China for sightseeing, family visiting or other private purposes, you need an  L Visa.

Applying for your Chinese visa can be a complex process. RushMyTravelVisa can help you determine what visa you need and guide you through the paperwork with helpful advice and handy checklists. Then, we deliver your visa application directly to the appropriate embassy or consulate for processing.

Contact us to apply for your Chinese visa today!

Tags: ,

One Response to “The ABC’s of Chinese Visas”

  1. Getting a China Visa To Visit Mount Wutai « RushMyTravelVisa

    […] To get to China, you will need an up-to-date passport and a Chinese visa. If you are just going as a tourist, you will need an “L” visa (for more information, see “The ABCs of Chinese Visas.” […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RushMyTravelVisa is a private service not affiliated with the government. We charge an additional fee to expedite your travel visa application. You may obtain a visa directly from the embassy at a lower cost.